Topic: Pictures for the 170 boom wide back-end please!!!

I am DELIGHTED to report that there is now a SLALOM version of the 170 carbon boom with a WIDE BACK-END available for your dealers to order!
Bogo, when are you going to show it on the website?
Barry, can you show us a photo of the wide back-end on this forum? PLEASE!!!!!

Re: Pictures for the 170 boom wide back-end please!!!

i'll work on that today. need to chase it down from the phil van. he's on the big island getting ready for the ironman world championships tomorrow.

aloha
barry

Hi Barry!

How did Phil do in the Ironman? Did you manage to take photos of the wide back-end?

Phil has been giving one of these wide tail 170's a good workout since the spring and it has been functioning and holding up great. We got the angles just right so that it slides super smooth as well.

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/6483/170widetail005low.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Great!

Excellent picture! Very nice addition to the MS carbon booms range. Many thanks, Art, for the photo and for the feedback as well. If it can take Phil, it should be able to take most sailors.
What do you think Frans, and Jose? I hope that it measures up to your expectations.
A big THANK YOU to the entire team at MauiSails for listening to their customers and spending time and $$$ to develop yet another GREAT product (despite being reluctant initially). It definitely took guts to make another mould in this economy! With the shortening of booms since the TR-7, this one will surely become the centre-piece in most sailors' booms quiver. It should become THE standard against which all other booms are measured. With the weight savings over other booms, I bet we'll see many of these next year on the PWA.

Cheers!

The boom looks very good. I am very satisfied with the responce to feedback from outside people like Us.
Thanks

Hi everybody

will you supply the boom with the outhaul clam cleat like you do for the 190/240 ?

regards
Xavier

Great question!!!! Because of the small grip on this boom there is not clamp cleat available in the market. Is there and answer for this question Barry? Is MS producing one for this boom?
Thanks

nonopr01,  according to http://www.clamcleat.com/cleats/cleat_d … ?theid2=66 , Clamcleat make three different sized outhaul adjustment systems.  Which would fit the 170 slalom boom?

regards,

Christian

Last edited by chr (2011-10-24 09:34:40)

chr wrote:

nonopr01,  according to http://www.clamcleat.com/cleats/cleat_d … ?theid2=66 , Clamcleat make three different sized outhaul adjustment systems.  Which would fit the 170 slalom boom?

regards,

Christian

I have tried the three different clamps and none of them fit correctly. All of them are way too big even with the rubber shim that the pack includes.
Thanks

i guess we'd better get on that then

aloha
barry

Okay here is what I did.  Murrays marine sells a smaller clam cleat for windsurfing booms.  You may have seen one it is navy blue vs the gray that come with our MS booms.  These blue cleats fit booms 100mm-116mm in circumference.  Which translates to 31.8mm to 36.9mm diameter roughly.

Circumference= pi x diameter
94.2=3.14 x 30 the diameter of MS wave booms
102.5=3.14 x 32.5 the diameter of MS slalom and formula booms.

So with the above math, shimming the blue cleats is "doable".
I was able to shim the blue cleats onto the 230-290 by using 2 of the black rubber inserts under each cleat 2 per cleat 4 shims total.  I have 25 days or so on the boom with no slippage of the cleat. 

You could also use double sided tape- the thick black industrial type, or bike inner tube as shims.  While these may not sound like elegant solutions they work and are inexpensive. Here is the link for Murrays Marine
http://www.murrays.com/mm5/merchant.mvc … re_Code=MS
Hope that is of some help.

Last edited by jason (2011-10-24 23:21:58)

Barry Spanier wrote:

i guess we'd better get on that then

aloha
barry

I use the north kit : it's the perfect size for the 170/230
http://www.wasurf.com.au/collections/wi … t-race-set

regards

Last edited by 767 (2011-10-25 10:43:34)

is that NOT a little expensive ??

$200 !!!

i can assure that when we have the thing it won't be that expensive.

i like the solution with the filler strips for now. we'll do our best to have a solution soon.

aloha
barry

Hi Barry
Just wondering if you guys had made any progress on an adjustable outhaul kit for the wide back-end yet?
Many thanks
John

Its been nice to go through your post.
It has given me much knowledge & so many valuable information.

deals on games

Last edited by Chuck Brown (2011-12-15 03:31:00)

we are working on getting a kit together for adjustable outhaul. meanwhile, the smallest clamcleat version can be made to work with a thin shim if necessary. takes awhile for tooling for us.

aloha
barry

Sounds good. I'm happy to wait for whatever you guys come up with.
Many thanks
John

Just curious: have you tried to put the wide back-end in a smaller boom, say the 140? (even if it does not fully goes in?)
I am thinking I will never need a boom bigger than 210 (and maybe a wide grip boom would be more suitable over 2 meter?). So buying a 140 plus the wide-end would cover wave sails from 3.5 to slalom sails for up 7.+. What product in the market does that?
we all know the answer! ;) A one boom to do it all! Even at a price of over a grand, This still would look attractive!
Thoughts?

vince

just checked it and it slides perfect all the way to the end.

aloha
barry

Thanks, Barry, I'll definitely order one soon!